People will pay insane amounts of money for guitars, as long as they were played by someone COOL. Here’s a list from Loudwire.com of the most expensive guitars of all time:
1. Kurt Cobain’s “MTV Unplugged” guitar: $6 million.
2. David Gilmour’s Black Strat: $3.9 million.
3. The ‘Reach Out to Asia’ Charity Fender Stratocaster: $2.7 million.
(This one was auctioned off to raise money for victims of the tsunami in 2004. It was signed by Sting, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Jimmy Page, and Paul McCartney . . . just to name a few.)
4. John Lennon’s Gibson J-160E Acoustic-Electric: $2.4 million.
5. A 1959 Les Paul owned by both Peter Green and Gary Moore: $2 million.
6. Jimi Hendrix’s Woodstock Strat: $2 million.
7. Jerry Garcia’s Wolf Guitar: $1.9 million.
8. Bob Marley’s Custom Washburn Hawk: $1.2 million.
9. A 1958 Gibson Korina Explorer: $1.1 million. This one wasn’t owned by anyone famous. It was just really rare.
10. Keith Richards’ 1959 Les Paul: $1 million.
Check out more here.
(We should also note that a different website claims another one of Kurt Cobain’s guitars sold for $4.5 million, which would put it second on the list, and push the David Gilmour axe to 3rd.)