Drink Water, Stay Cool, & Be Safe!
August 13, 2019 1:55PM EDT
A massive heatwave is driving temperatures dangerously high across the country.
On Tuesday, there are 13 states under heat alerts. In some areas of the Southeast and West Coast, the heat index will reach upwards of 115 degrees.
In addition to the heat, several states in the Midwest are dealing with severe weather that will continue to bring heavy rain and powerful storms.
There could be flash flooding and tornadoes with these storms. Stay cool and be careful.
Some tips from Ready.gov:
- Find air conditioning.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Watch for heat illness.
- Wear light clothing.
- Check on family members and neighbors.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Watch for heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water is one of the healthiest things you can do during a heat wave (and any time of the year, truthfully).
- Stay inside as much as possible.
- If you have to go outside, wear sunscreen.
- Take care of your pets..
- Know the danger signs.